Thursday, October 11, 2012

BOO! Halloween Wreath

Believe it or not, I completed my first Halloween craft in the first week of October! It is hanging just inside my front door, scaring the pants off anyone who DARES to enter.....ah ha ha ha ha!!!!



Okay, I exaggerate juuuust a little. Anyway, moving on...

Since my "team colors" wreath turned out pretty well, I thought I'd use the same basic design. I went with some black & white printed fabric, and got some orange tulle to wrap around it.


I really would have liked the fabric to have more black than white, BUT, since it was on the clearance rack, I decided I could live with it! I started out the same way I did with the Team Colors Wreath, and just wrapped the styrofoam wreath with strips of fabric that I had torn, then hot-glued the strips to the wreath and it ended up like this:


Next came the frustrating part (isn't there a little of that in every project??) 

I had gotten the orange tulle to wrap around the wreath, similar to my other one. But when I knotted the tulle & started wrapping, it just didn't look right. So I experimented a little with making "bows"...


I tried a couple different sizes, and they just didn't do it for me. They were also kind of tricky to try and glue on. So on to Plan B. Orange felt! I knew that I would need to add something to help my wooden letters stand out (see them in the right corner of the picture there?) So I cut out 3 strips of orange felt to put around the wreath.


Here's how they look on the wreath. Much better! We're getting closer!!!


Next it was time to add wooden Hobby Lobby spray-painted letters to the wreath


I also added a cute little felt owl. (No, I didn't make it!) I feel like such a cheater, I picked this up at Hobby Lobby too! When I bought it, I wasn't sure what I would use it for. But after the letters were on, it just needed a little something more. Here is the finished wreath: 



I really like the clean look of it without that messy tulle. (But notice I did find a way to work it in to the wreath after all!)


I am going to try and get at least one more Halloween project done before the end of the month. AND get a super-awesome costume for our neighborhood fiesta. And this year, I'm vowing not to wait until the day before to pick something out :)


Linking to:







4 comments:

  1. Ahhh!!! I'm pretty sure this is my favorite wreath I've seen so far!! I love everything about it! The owl is too stinkin' cute.. glad to know you didn't make it and I can go buy it!! :)
    I would LOVE for you to link this up at my Creatively Tuesdays at The Rustic Pig! http://www.therusticpig.com/2012/10/creatively-tuesdays-5.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I featured you today! Thanks for linking up!
    Kim-madeinaday

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this wreath! I love the fabric and the owl!! I'd love for you to share this and any other crafts at my new linky party, Submarine Sunday. I hope you'll stop by!

    T'onna
    http://navywifeypeters.blogspot.com/2012/10/submarine-sunday-3-features.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I featured your wreath at Submarine Sunday #4. Come on over and grab a featured button!

      T'onna @ Navy Wifey Peters Aboard the USS Crafty

      Delete