Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Mission Accomplished!

I'm glad to report that race day came and went, I finished, and my time was under the goal that I had set for myself!  I finished in 289th place (woo hoo!) out of 585 females.  I really wanted to finish under 40 minutes, and my time was 38:29.  That was including all the nagging of my son that I had to do along the way!  He wanted to do a lot of walking, and THEN as we neared the last turn at the end of the race, he said "I think I'm gonna sprint down the last street" and took off.  So all that work along the way to get HIM to keep up with ME was for nothing.  He finished ahead of me by a few seconds.  I did get a little satisfaction, however, when the results were listed in the paper the next day.  We were both listed as finishing at 38:29.  Hee hee. 


The other nice surprise was that my daughter finished 8th out of 80 female runners in the sprint that she did!  Of the 7 girls ahead of her, most were a few years older (she's 7).  So we were very excited for her.


I am still on my "running high" and now have a training plan for a 10k.   Here is the link to the program I decided on:  http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/10Kadvbeginner.htm  I felt qualified enough to start with the "advanced beginner" version, since I'm pretty comfortable running 3 mile stretches now.  I might be a little overly-ambitious, but at least it will give me something to do over the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment