Thursday, February 16, 2012

Simplifying Things

One of my goals for this year is to get my house in shape. One of the biggest problems around our house are the piles of "things" that accumulate all over the place in some parts of the house. The worst is the kitchen counter. There's one corner that ALWAYS has a pile of papers sitting on it. I'm embarrassed to admit that I have a bag of mail sitting there that my neighbors collected while we were gone at Disney over New Year's! Still! I did go through and take out the bills and important "stuff" but it is still sitting there, full of junk mail!

The Pile - and this is on a good day!
So...one of my new routines is to bring in the mail, go through it IMMEDIATELY, and either file the important things or throw out the junk. I realized that if I just take 5 minutes to do this every day, I won't need a bigger chunk of time later on to go through everything that builds up. This goes for school papers, too! (Now I just need to get rid of that bag!)

We also have a lot of clutter in general (you would be amazed at what the rest of the dining room table looks like when I take pictures for my blog posts! I'm very good at clearing off a little section to make it "presentable" for a photo!!) I haven't quite figured out an easy way to get rid of this stuff without just going through room by room and weeding it out. 

The second thing I've been doing this year is the old "hanger turn-around" trick! I have so many clothes that I never wear (and I know I never wear them, but I always think "maybe someday...") So, before January 1st, I turned all my hangers in the closet BACKWARDS and as I wear something, I replace the hanger the right way. 


It's amazing how little I've worn in the first month and a half! Of course, it is winter in Iowa, so some of my things aren't even in the running right now. But I decided that by June or July, I will have a true picture of what I really wear, and the rest is OUT OF HERE!

So who else has these kind of goals for the year? I'd love to hear your tips & tricks for getting organized!!




7 comments:

  1. I think I will try the closet thing. I am moving into a house come August that has very little closet space so if I can minimize what is in my closet maybe I won't be so overwhelmed on where it is going to be placed once I do move in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the same thing going on in my house. I need to work on getting rid of all the clutter. I did manage to get rid of magazines that I've been hanging onto for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I found you through Along For the Ride's Blog Hop. Love your blog! I'm your newest follower! I have to try turning my hangers around! There is so much I know I haven't worn in forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love these blog hops where we get to find and meet new blog friends? Glad I found you. I'm a new follower and I would love if you stopped by and followed back, so we can stay connected. Don't forget to get the new Linky tool since GFC is going away. Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. You ROCK!! Thank you so much for linking up to the blog hop -- and putting the button on your blog!! Wishing you all the best in your bloggy endeavors. Following :)

    Kelly
    www.livelaughrowe.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the WORST at being organized. Oy vey! Stopping over via the blog hop! So nice to meet you!I'm a new follower :)

    Lindsey
    outofalabaster.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete