Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Always Verify Your Source!

As a journalism major in college, one of the things our professors talked about over and over was verifying sources of information. I must be getting forgetful or just lazy in my old age, because I did not follow that advice last week...

Ginny was so excited for her cousins to come visit last weekend, and decided to make gifts for them. She had heard them talk about their new favorite TV show, "Super Y" and wanted to make super-hero capes for all 3 of them. Now is the time to mention that my kids have pretty much graduated from cartoons to all those annoying shows like "Wizards of Waverly Place" and "Sonny with a Chance" - so I'm not too familiar with the current cartoon line-up.

Ginny recruited her grandma to sew the capes for her, then brought them home to decorate.  We had the first one all finished (or so we thought!) when I happened to mention the gifts to my sister. What is this Super Y thing anyway? I asked. She explained the background of the show and how the characters solve problems by asking the question "Why?" Aaaaaaaahhhhh. That makes much more sense than a super hero whose name starts with the letter Y.  (What would her name be anyway, Yolanda?!)

So one "Super-Y" cape later, we learned a lesson! Always verify your source!

No comments:

Post a Comment